Skip to content

Filing “UCCs” in Canada

August 28, 2009

Candian FlagDid you know that you can file a UCC in Canada? Okay, so it’s technically not a UCC since the Uniform Commercial Code system is an American one, but Canada does have a system called the Personal Property Security Registration System which is analogous to and based upon our UCC system.

This system, much like our Uniform Commercial Code, records and reproduces info regarding loans where collateral is used to secure the loan. This system also records and reproduces information regarding repair and storage liens.

If you need to file a financing statement, you will have to complete and submit a document, which has to be done electronically, to the Companies and Personal Property Security Branch of the Ministry of Government Services.  Within 30 days of registering the financing statement, the lender must provide the borrower with details of the registration so that the borrower can review and advise of any errors as necessary.

Unlike the US, where financing statements are active for 5 years unless a continuation is filed, the lenders must select the time period for the registration, which can be for as long as 25 years, or for a perpetual period (note: this only pertains to business loans; consumer loans can only register for up to 5 years at one time). Once the consumer loan is repaid, the lender registers a “discharge” within 30 days, similar to our termination filings.

With proper licensing, both PPSA searches and registrations can be accomplished via remote database access.  Many public records firms here in the United States have achieved authorization and can complete your Canadian requests efficiently and affordably.

Updated Post: Filing Financing Statements in Canada

* Disclaimer

23 Comments leave one →
  1. First Name; Michel permalink
    May 21, 2010 7:56 am

    Good life to you,
    Does the P.P.S.R.S have an equivalent to the U.C.C.-1 Financing Statement?
    And where can I find this canadian equivalent, and file one?

    Thank you in advance for this info.

  2. May 21, 2010 5:50 pm

    Hi Michel,

    Thanks for reading our post! The best way to file the Canadian equivalent is through a service company with authorization and expert knowledge in the field. I highly encourage you to submit your request here: and we can assist with your filing right away.


    • First Name; Michel permalink
      May 28, 2010 9:54 am

      Thank you Samuel for the offer,
      I’m actually looking into discovering for myself, the steps I should be doing for my filing, I just learned that ppsa is for outside of Québec and rdprm is for ‘here’ inside Québec. My initial question was related to: offices to go to; forms to fill up; and general filing procedures that individuals should do, to be in full respect of applicable law.

      Can you give me some helpful directions that will make me go forward in my personal filings related to the UCC ?


  3. June 1, 2010 9:53 pm

    Hi Michel,

    Thank you for your inquiry. Our specialist will email you some information privately.


    • Fred permalink
      March 12, 2012 10:26 pm

      I have the same question for you! can you help me with a equivalent to ucc1 in quebec?

  4. Todd permalink
    September 12, 2010 4:08 am

    I too am curious about what forms to fill out etc. Could you also send me the same information regarding my personal filings? I live in British Columbia and require the same PPSR filing statement information.


  5. Theresa permalink
    November 2, 2010 7:10 pm

    Please send me information on filling my PPSR in Canada and where the available forms can be located to be able to complete my personal fillings related to my UCC.

  6. robert permalink
    November 18, 2010 9:09 am

    I also live in Quebec what I would like to know is where do I start and what are the fees in other words the best way to go.

    • November 18, 2010 9:33 pm

      Our representative will email you directly with more information. Thanks for your questions.

  7. chris permalink
    November 24, 2010 5:59 am

    i would also like information you to email to Michel, robert, about ppsr/ucc for i to would like to know more, be able to complete my personal fillings related to my UCC. i live in bc

  8. Philipe permalink
    January 4, 2011 3:30 pm


    I am also interested in getting documents and information for filling in Quebec. Could you please help?

    Best regards,

  9. EJS permalink
    January 11, 2011 10:12 pm


    Could you please send me information on how I could file PPSRs?

    Thank you!

  10. Adon permalink
    February 22, 2011 8:30 pm

    please email me concerning the procedure and companies to work with to file in canada and quebec, it would be greatly appreciated. i find your blog extremely helpfull, great work

  11. Tona permalink
    July 1, 2011 4:45 pm

    I need to file a financing statement in Peterborough Ontario and need to know a website where I can do so. Does anyone know where I should file? Thanks.

  12. Debby permalink
    July 21, 2011 10:40 pm

    How would i file a PPSR in Canada if i am in the U.S.?

  13. January 16, 2012 7:14 am

    I do not have CC’s and want to know where I can get the proper documents and file them myself? Does anyone know I want both the UCC1 and the PPSR. Oh! and how much would it cost to have someone do it for me? It would have to be cheque or cash…

  14. todd cimino permalink
    January 25, 2012 5:33 am

    I too am curious about what forms to fill out etc. Could you also send me the same information regarding my personal filings? I live in Ontario and require the same PPSR filing statement information.


  15. Lyle permalink
    March 21, 2012 7:48 am

    i too am interested in this information, thankyou kindly if you may email the info.


  1. Filing Financing Statements in Canada « First Corporate Solutions Blog | UCC, Corporate, Lien, Litigation, Title | Search, Filing, Monitoring

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 34 other followers

%d bloggers like this: